Sun City Poms
Fry’s Sun City Poms
History of the Sun City Poms:
The Poms started in 1979 by acting as cheerleaders for the Sun City Saints women’s softball team. Today the group has evolved into two units: a marching unit and a performing unit. The Fry’s Sun City Poms are highly energetic performers who demonstrate the organization’s dance standards. Some even do acrobatics!
Fry’s Sun City Poms come from all walks of life, and are more than entertainers. They represent the fulfillment of life at any age. Performing with the spunk and energy of their youths, these ladies are having the time of their lives while sharing positive aspects of retirement and aging, and shattering conventional images of “senior citizens.”
- Dancers and marchers in the Poms must be 55+ years old and hold a current RCSC card, or qualify as a participating guest.
- Dance skills of rhythm, agility, poise, energy, and showmanship are required. Acrobatics and baton twirling are a plus.
If you are interested in learning more about the Poms or would like to schedule a Pom performance, check our contact information below. Poms season is from September through May.
Two Units of Poms:
The Performing Poms unit entertains at some 50 shows a year. They appear at conventions, sporting events, community meetings, fundraisers, and retirement living centers and care facilities. With excitement, agility, and grace, these women perform pyramids, pinwheels, while some even do splits, leg lifts, and headstands. Dances include modern jazz, country, and the internationally famous “Pom Routine.”
Poms perform on stage at Chandler Performing Arts Center during Starbright Foundation gala fundraiser in April 2014.
The Marching Poms unit participates in several parades a year, including the nationally televised Fiesta Bowl Parade in Phoenix. They perform a marching routine repeatedly throughout a parade route ranging from 1.5 miles to 3.0 miles. These gals strut their stuff with rhythm, energy, agility, and showmanship!
Poms partner with Title Sponsor, Fry’s Foods, since 2012
Poms are proud to announce all their sponsors:
Fry’s Food Stores
Sun City Independent
Dr. Robert Holyoak, DDS
Sun City Mechanical
Wally’s Sun City Total Car Care
Poms march in Litchfield Christmas in the Park, December 2013
Practice times for Performing Poms unit:
Mondays and Thursdays from 8-11 am at Marinette Center
Tuesdays 3:30 pm /Fridays 9:00 am at Marinette Center (trainees)
Practice times for Marching Poms unit:
Occasional Mondays from 7:30 to 8:45 am at Marinette Center
as determined by parade schedule
Upcoming 2015-2016 Schedule:
- Sept 25, Desert Edge High School, Goodyear, 2:00 pm
- Oct. 10, Tolleson Fiesta de Amistad Parade, Tolleson, 10:00 am
- Oct 15, Brookdale Heritage Palmeras, Sun City, 2:30 pm
- Nov. 4, American Lutheran Church, Sun City, 7:00 pm
- Nov. 7, Anthem Veteran’s Parade, Anthem, AZ, 10:00 am
- Nov. 11, Phoenix Veteran’s Day Parade, Phoenix, 10:00 am
- Dec 11, Glendale Glitters, Glendale, 7:00 pm
- Jan 2, Fiesta Bowl Parade, Phoenix, 10:00 am
- Jan. 15, Bourgade Catholic High School, Phoenix, 2:00 pm
Ruth Pharris, Director
Poms Phone: 602-392-4242
Poms Email email@example.com