by Jim Wellman
General Centers Projects / Information
- Installation of the Photo Voltaic (PV-Electricity producing) systems is now underway. The first locations to receive the new carports and solar panels will be Marinette and Oakmont Centers. At the present time all building permits except Lakeview and Sundial centers have been received. We expect these two locations will receive their permits very soon. Contractor is Wilson Electric.
- The two Bell thermal solar projects and Oakmont thermal project were delayed slightly in early January but are expected to be up and running by the end of January 2013. Contractor is Priceless Plumbing.
Mt. View Center/Sunbowl Ballpark
- Installation of the Mt. View pool lighting system will begin as soon as the building permit is obtained. The project includes induction type lighting around the swimming pool and two pole lights in the mini golf area. Contractor is Accel Electric. (Cost – $40,000)
- As soon as the construction permit is obtained, induction type pole lights will be installed at the Mt View pickleball courts. Contractor is ATS Electrical. (Cost – $23,422)
- On January 3, 2013 thelarge 2.4M BTU Raypak pool heater went down due to a burner flame out, which in turn melted the control panel and associated wiring. Since Raypak is a Canadian manufacturer, the RCSC had to order a new custom made control panel from North Carolina. Once the panel was received it was installed in a different location and the control wiring was put into conduit to prevent this problem from occurring again. The heater was also serviced and put back on-line January 25, 2013.
- Bids have now been received, and a contractor selected for the Sunbowl Ballfield project. The project will include a new irrigation system, grading and leveling of the infield and outfield, new infield and warning track materials, some new fencing and new Mid Iron Bermuda grass. At the same time the ballfield is renovated, the retention / park area to the South of the field will receive a new irrigation system, re-leveling and new Mid Iron Bermuda grass. Contractor is Wadsworth Golf Construction Company. (Cost – $159,385)
- The building drawings for the new South Golf Maintenance building are completed. To date the RCSC is responding to the 3rd round of comments from Maricopa County Planning and Development Department as we secure a building permit for this project. Project plans and other construction information have now been distributed to contractors and bids are expected back soon. Once the bids are received the project will be sent to the RCSC bid commission for final approval. Contractors to date include Bunger Steel, Inc and CCBG Architectural.
- The Lakeview lawn bowl greens lighting project is now completed. The new light fixtures are working as planned and the RCSC has received some very positive comments. Contractor was Wilson Electric. (Cost – $55,880)
- The mini golf restrooms at Lakeview are currently being remodeled. Two portable toilet units with hand washing sinks have been placed while the remodeling takes place. Contractors for this project include: Marlin Mechanical, Interior Logic and the RCSC Skilled Trades Team. (Cost – $16,000)
- The East men’s and women’s restrooms at Lakeview Lanes are being remodeled. The remodel will include the addition of ADA accessible toilets for the bowling lanes building. Contractor is Ken McIntyre Construction. (Cost – $28,000)
- The Bell Wood & Metal shop expansion project is moving forward with demolition and rerouting of a natural gas line. Contractor is Ken McIntyre Construction. (Cost – $435,561)
- Exterior painting of Bell Center is progressing as planned with about 75% completed. Contractor is Quality Painting. (Cost – $86,971)
- Commencing sometime in April, both lawn bowl greens at Bell Center will be completely renovated. Work will include new backboards and plinths, new drainage systems, some concrete walkway work, new Bermuda grass and a new irrigation system including a booster pump. Project information is currently being prepared so construction bids can be requested. In addition, the backboard and plinth board materials have been ordered as they are a special order item requiring a long lead time. Once bids are received the project will be sent to the RCSC bid commission for final approval.
Sundial Center / Riverview Pro
- Two replacement signs for the Riverview golf course are scheduled to be installed. One sign has been installed on the pro shop building and the other will be installed by the #10 tee box sometime in February. Unfortunately, this project has been delayed due to some health problems with the contractor. Contractor is Apollo Signs. (Cost – $13,898)
- The elevator at Sundial broke down on Tuesday January 22, 2013. The elevator is an old model Dover DMC and new parts and software are no longer available. The elevator company is working with the manufacturer and an outside circuit board repair company to prepare temporary electronics for the elevator before it can be made operational again. At the same time the RCSC is determining cost and upgrade requirements for the current equipment so future repair parts will not be a problem.
- On Monday January 28 the large swimming pool’s re-circulating pump went out due to the failure of the main housing seal. The RCSC Aquatic Technician and our pool company began making repairs to the pump the same day.
Skilled Trades Department
- The RCSC skilled Trades department completed 132 work orders during December 2012 and January 2013. Among many other non-work order tasks, the RCSC the Skilled Trades team is doing some of the Lakeview Mini Golf restroom remodel work.