by Jim Wellman
General Centers Projects / Information
- The installation of all RCSC Photo Voltaic (PV-Electricity producing) solar systems and their respective monitoring applications are completed. Several cardholders have expressed their appreciation for the added benefit of shade provided by the solar canopies during the summer.
- Ceiling fans were replaced by the RCSC Skilled Trades Department at several snack shops and outdoor patio locations. Contractor is RCSC Skilled Trades Department. (Cost – $3,000)
- Three parking lots are scheduled to receive an asphalt overlay and restriping. Included are Lakeview Center/Lakeview Lanes, Sundial Center and Quail Run Maintenance facility. At the present time Lakeview Center/Lakeview lanes has been completed. Paving at Sundial Center and Quail Run Maintenance will be scheduled soon. Contractor: Regional Paving Company. (Cost - $471,925)
- Security fencing is being installed at the WC/WB maintenance yard and new steel gates are being installed at Sundial Center maintenance yard. Contractor: Sav-on-Fence. (Cost – $26,259)
Mt. View Center/Sunbowl Ballpark & Amphitheater
- The Mt. View pool lighting system and mini golf pole light is underway with the footings being installed for the light poles. The contractor has been delayed as he encountered caliche while digging the light pole footings. Contractor: Accel Electric. (Cost – $40,000)
- The Mt. View Center pickleball court expansion project has been approved. The RCSC will replace the existing (4) courts and add another (3) courts in 2013. All seven court surfaces to be constructed using post tension concrete. A final court plan has been developed and engineering and architectural drawings are currently being produced. The drawings will be submitted to Maricopa County for a building permit and to contractors for construction bid proposals. Once all bids have been received, the project will be sent to the RCSC Bid Commission for final project approval. The two tennis courts at Mt View will remain open for use during this project.
- The Sunbowl Amphitheater project is nearing completion with only the building’s exterior painting remaining. Contractors: Wadsworth Golf Construction, Accel Electric and Ironwood Gates and Welding. (Est. Cost $245,883)
- The Sunbowl Ballpark and South Retention basin project is completed. The project included new irrigation systems, a 20’ outfield fence, new Bermuda grass, expansion of the dugouts, new bases, new trash receptacles and two new drinking fountains. Contractors: Wadsworth Construction, Accel Electric and Western Fence. (Est. Cost $219,800)
- Painting of the Sunbowl Ballfield and Amphitheatre buildings is underway. Contractor: Quality Painting and Restoration. (Cost – $6,120)
South Golf Maintenance
- The replacement 6,000 s.f. South Golf Maintenance building is nearing completion with only the fire system and new electrical service yet to be completed. The new metal building will be more fire retardant, offer improved mechanic and maintenance areas and increase security for overnight storage of valuable golf equipment. Contractors to date: Bunger Steel, Inc, Jokake Construction and CCBG Architectural. (Budgeted Cost – $600,000 after insurance)
- Remodeling work continues on the Oakmont shower rooms. The project includes new flooring, wall tile, toilet partitions, vanities, lockers, light fixture change outs and water extractors for the swim suits. Contractor: Ken McIntyre Construction. (Cost – $194,808)
- The installation of the Lakeview pool and spa Ultra Violet Light systems is about 50% completed. The new systems will reduce chlorine usage and further eliminate any bacteria in the pool/spa water. These systems are part of the RCSC’s Healthy Swimming program and have proved to be very effective at the Fairway and Sundial pools. Contractor: Aquatic Environmental Services (AES) (Cost – $100,000)
- Resurfacing of the Lakeview Tennis courts is being scheduled. The resurfacing will include crack repair and re-painting using blue and green as the primary colors. Contractor: Arizona Master Court. (Cost – $16,000)
Bell Center / Bell Lanes
- The renovation of the two Lawn Bowl Greens at Bell Center is nearing completion as the sprigging of the Tiff Dwarf Bermuda grass is completed and growing in nicely. Pole lighting maintenance is underway and the re-installation of a shade canopy will occur soon. Contractors: Ken McIntyre Construction, National Turf, Accel Electric and Wood Bay Turf Technologies. (Cost – $484,308)
- Installation of Ultra Violet Light Systems on both Bell pools and both Bell Spas is now completed. The new systems will reduce chlorine usage and further eliminate any bacteria in the pool/spa water. These systems are part of the RCSC’s Healthy Swimming program and have proved to be very effective at the Fairway and Sundial pools. Contractor: Aquatic Environmental Services. (AES) (Cost – $102, 178)
- The indoor Bell shuffleboard courts, at Bell lanes, have been stripped and totally refinished. Contractor: Arizona Royal. (Cost $11,800)
- The hardwood flooring in the indoor Racquetball / Handball courts at Bell center has been totally stripped and refinished. Contractor: Enmar Flooring. (Cost – $800)
- The sewer line serving the carpentry and metal shops began having drainage problems. An 8’section of asphalt was saw cut and removed in preparation for hand digging up the pipe. After the pipe was removed the slope of the new sewer pipe had to be corrected to remove a “belly” in the line. Backfill and asphalt patching completed the project. Contractor: Sunland Plumbing. (Cost – $10,000)
Sundial Center / Riverview Pro/ Lakes Pro
- The elevator at Sundial Center has now been re-furbished including new software and other enhancements necessary to bring it up to code. Contractors: Otis Elevator and Custom Cooling. (Cost – $95,781)
- The Ultra Violet Light System installation on both Sundial spas is now completed. (Both pools already have UV systems) The new systems will reduce chlorine usage and further eliminate any bacteria in the pool/spa water. These systems are part of the RCSC’s Healthy Swimming program and have proved to be very effective at the Fairway and Sundial pools. Contractor: Aquatic Environmental Services (AES). (Cost – $40,596)
- Two electronic display signs have been approved and designed for Sundial Center. One sign will be located on the Boswell side of Sundial Center and the other on the 103rd Ave side of Sundial Center. Permits are currently being obtained from Maricopa County Planning and Development Department now that the zero setback variance has been granted. Contractor: Bootz and Duke Sign Company and Supercharged Electric. (Cost - $102,107)
- Remodeling of the Sundial Camera Guild is underway. The project includes removal of the dark rooms, new flooring, cabinet rearrangement, painting and replacement of some light fixtures. Contractor is Ken McIntyre Construction. (Cost – $31,249)
- New cushioned engineered maple hardwood flooring is being installed in the Sundial Aerobics room. Contractor: Puckett’s Flooring. (Cost – $35,000)
- The building plans for the Marinette building expansion continue to be developed by various engineers and the architect. As soon as the plans are completed they will be reviewed and forwarded to Maricopa County Planning and Development Department for permit and to construction companies for bid proposals. Once the proposals are obtained, the project will be submitted to the RCSC bid commission for final approval. Site and floor plan drawings are on display for cardholders at various centers, including Marinette, Bell, Sundial, Lakeview and Fairway.
Skilled Trades Department
- The RCSC skilled Trades department completed 238 work orders during August and the first two weeks of September 2013. This total does not include other routine work completed outside of the work order system.