by Jim Wellman
General Centers Projects / Information
- Solar projects, which include thermal (Water heating) and PV (Electricity producing), are still going through the plan review (Permitting) process with Maricopa County Planning and Development Department. A leadership meeting was held with Maricopa County Planning and Development Department on September 12, 2012 to come up with a plan on how to get these Solar permits approved. Contractors include Wilson Electric for the photovoltaic solar and Priceless Plumbing for thermal solar.
- Security fencing and gates are being installed around one pump station at the following golf course locations; Riverview, Willowbrook and Lakes West. Contractor is Sav-on-Fence. (Cost – $14,300)
- Don’t forget to put the Dive-In movie on your calendar for this Saturday evening! The movie will be held at the Mt View Center swimming pool on September 29, 2012. The doors open at 6:00PM and the movie begins at approximately 7:00PM. The movie will be “The Big Year” starring Steve Martin, Jack Black & Owen Wilson. And don’t forget the Free Popcorn & Ice Cream!
Mt. View Center
- The Mt. View pool lighting project is in the planning stage. The contractor is currently preparing project plans for submittal to Maricopa County for the construction permit. (Sorry, last month’s report stated that submittal for permit had been made but that was incorrect.) The project includes induction type lighting around the swimming pool and two pole lights in the mini golf area. Contractor is Accel Electric. (Cost – $40,000)
South Maintenance/ Quail Run/ Sunbowl
- The building drawings for the new South Golf Maintenance building should be finished this week and submitted for permit the week of October 1, 2012. The drawings will also be sent out for contractor bids prior to review and approval by the RCSC bid commission. Contractors to date include Bunger Steel, Inc and CCBG Architectural.
- Re-carpeting of the Quail Run pro shop will occur while the course is closed for 2012 over-seeding in late October. Contractor is Puckett’s Flooring. (Cost – $4,432)
- The permit from Maricopa County Planning and Development has been received for the replacement of the irrigation systems and turf at the Sunbowl ballpark and park (water retention) area south of the ballfield. The project was sent out to four contractors for bid but two backed out stating that they were too busy and the other two continue to delay their response. Since it is too late to plant (sprig) Bermuda grass this project will resume in April/May of 2013. In the meantime, we will continue to seek the necessary project bids and forward the entire project to the RCSC bid commission for final approval. Current contractors assigned to this project include CCBG Architectural, Marvin Mills Irrigation Consulting and Broderick Engineering.
North Golf Course
- The defective septic system leach field at the North golf maintenance facility has been replaced. The work included removal of a small amount of asphalt and gravel from the parking area, replacement of the leach lines, replacement and compaction of gravel and fill dirt and a final asphalt patch. Contractors were American Septic and Pinnacle Paving. (Cost – Permit & Septic Work $5,110)
Lakeview Center, Lakeview Lanes & Café’
- The Lakeview lawn bowl greens will receive replacement metal halide light fixtures on top of the existing light poles as soon as the permit is received from Maricopa County Planning and Development Department. In addition, two electrical panels must be replaced and some new electrical cabling done in order to complete this project. The new light fixtures will supply additional light while keeping energy costs down. Contractor is Wilson Electric. (Cost – $55,880)
- Inside areas of Lakeview lanes are being repainted by the RCSC Skill Trades department. (Cost- paint and supplies $600)
- The Lakeview café is being cleaned and repaired in preparation for JiMichael’s to assume operations. During this process the commercial restaurant equipment is also being cleaned, serviced and replaced as necessary. Cleaning work is being done by ServPro of Arizona, the upholstery work by Desert Flower Upholstery and all painting, carpentry and minor electrical repairs by the RCSC skilled trades department. The café is expected to reopen October 1, 2012.
- Architectural drawings for the Bell Wood and Metal shop expansion project are completed. Project plans were submitted to Maricopa County Planning and Development for permit on September 20, 2012. The building plans will also be sent out to construction companies for competitive bids. After all bids are received the project will be forwarded to the RCSC bid commission for final approval.
- Planning and pre-permit work is completed for repairs to the Bell Lawn Bowling irrigation system and lawn bowl green backboards. The RCSC submitted drawings to Maricopa County Planning and Development Department, for an irrigation pump electrical permit, on July 24, 2012 but the permit was not issued until September 12, 2012. Due to permit delays, etc the project will now commence in April/May of 2013 since the Lawn Bowling season is rapidly approaching. In the meantime, the project will be sent out for construction bids. Once all bids are received, the entire project will be submitted to the RCSC bid commission for approval.
- The Plumbing lines at La Petite Café’ required line jetting due to the plumbing system’s age and build-up of debris. Contractor was Sunland Plumbing. (Approximate Cost – $900)
Sundial Center / Riverview Pro
- The new back-stage and main-stage curtains for the Sundial auditorium are now installed. The automatic opener unit is still being outfitted with a remote switch and safety guard. In the meantime the new curtains can be operated manually. S&K Theatrical manufactured and installed the draperies. (Cost – $21,927)
- Two replacement signs have been ordered for the Riverview golf course. One will be placed on the pro shop building and the other by the #10 tee box. The signs are being constructed at the present time and the permit has been obtained from Maricopa County Planning and Development. Contractor is Apollo Signs. (Cost – $13,898)
- Restroom repairs at Riverview Pro Shop were completed, and the restrooms re-opened, on Wednesday, September 19, 2012. The repairs included the replacement of existing lighting, toilet partitions, toilet fixtures, porcelain tile and a complete repainting of the facilities. Contractor was Sunland Plumbing. (Cost – $46,800)
- Roof coating work began the week of September 24th at Sundial. The work includes the two lower auditorium roofs and a section of roof on the West side of the clubs building. Contractor is Reliable Roofing. (Cost – $ 41,000)
Skilled Trades Department
- The Skilled Trades department completed 75 work orders during the month of August/September 2012. While total work orders completed this reporting period seem low, the Skilled Trades Department has also played a significant role in interior repainting of Lakeview Lanes and the renovation of JiMichael’s Café at Lakeview.