by Jim Wellman
General Centers Projects and Information
- Unfortunately during the month of October 2013 Josephine Karacsony, Building and Infrastructure Coordinator, left the RCSC. Josephine will surely be missed as she was instrumental in the completion of many projects and other special assignments. The B&I department wishes Josephine huge success in her new endeavors.
- Three parking lots are to receive an asphalt overlay and restriping. Included are Lakeview Center/Lakeview Lanes, Sundial Center and Quail Run Maintenance facility. At the present time Lakeview Center / Lanes and Sundial Center have been completed. Quail Run Maintenance lot is scheduled to be completed soon. Contractor is Regional Paving Company. (Cost – $471,925)
Mt. View Center
- The Mt.View pool lighting system and mini golf pole light is underway with the footings being completed for the light poles. All the underground wiring is installed and the poles and fixtures are ordered. As soon as the poles and fixtures arrive the project will be completed. Contractor is Accel Electric. (Cost – $40,000)
- The installation of the Mt. View pool and spa Ultra Violet Light system is underway. The new systems will reduce chlorine usage and further eliminate any bacteria in the pool/spa water. These systems are part of the RCSC’s Healthy Swimming program and have proved to be very effective at the Fairway and Sundial pools. Contractor was Aquatic Environmental Services (AES) (Cost – $70,000)
- The RCSC will be replacing the existing (4) pickleball courts and adding another (3) pickleball courts in 2013. All seven court surfaces will be constructed using post tension concrete. A final court plan has been developed and engineering and architectural drawings will be submitted to Maricopa County for a building permit and to contractors for construction bid proposals in early November. Once all bids have been received, the project will be sent to the RCSC Bid Commission for final project approval. The two tennis courts at Mt. View will remain open for use during this project.
Fairway Center / South Golf Maintenance
- A pipe rail fence is being constructed around the Fairway lawn bowling green. The fence will help to protect the artificial green from bicycles, skateboards and persons using the green for things other than lawn bowling. Contractor is Sav-on-Fence. (Cost – $14,294)
- The replacement 6,000 s.f. South Golf Maintenance building is nearing completion with only the new electrical service from APS yet to be installed. The new metal building will be more fire retardant, offer improved mechanic and maintenance areas and increase security for overnight storage of valuable golf equipment. Contractors to date include Bunger Steel, Inc, Jokake Construction, Northstar Construction and CCBG Architectural. (Budgeted Cost – $600,000) (After insurance)
- The Oakmont pool shower room remodel project is completed. The project included new flooring, wall tile, toilet partitions, vanities, lockers, light fixture change outs and water extractors for the swim suits. Contractor was Ken McIntyre Construction. (Cost – $194,808)
- Volleyball poles and a net were installed at the Oakmont pool to accommodate one of the newest RCSC clubs, the Water Volleyball club. The club plays water volleyball using a beach ball. Contractor was Arizona Concrete Coring and the RCSC Oakmont staff. (Cost – $450)
- A town hall meeting will be held on Friday, November 1 at 330pm to present the proposed Oakmont pool renovation plans. This meeting will be in the Oakmont Auditorium and interested Cardholders are encouraged to attend.
- The installation of the Lakeview pool and spa Ultra Violet Light systems has been completed. The new systems will reduce chlorine usage and further eliminate any bacteria in the pool/spa water. These systems are part of the RCSC’s Healthy Swimming program and have proved to be very effective at the Fairway and Sundial pools. Contractor was Aquatic Environmental Services (AES) (Cost- $100,000)
- Resurfacing of the Lakeview Tennis courts has been completed. The resurfacing included crack repairs and re-coating the surfaces using blue and green as the primary colors. Contractor is Arizona Master Court. (Cost – $16,000)
- On October 1st the RCSC assigned a Facility Attendant to oversee activities at Duffeeland Dog Park. Having a Facility Attendant at the park has allowed the RCSC to track users, enforce dog park rules and ensure that the park is kept clean.
- The renovation of the two Lawn Bowl Greens at Bell Center is completed other that the reinstallation of a canopy. Contractors include: Ken McIntyre Construction, National Turf, Accel Electric and Wood Bay Turf Technologies. (Cost – $484,308)
Sundial Center / Riverview Pro/Snack Shop
- Two electronic display signs have been approved and designed for Sundial Center. One sign will be located on the Boswell side of Sundial Center and the other on the 103rd Ave side of Sundial Center. Permits have now been obtained and manufacturing of the electronic displays and the sign monuments are underway. Contractor for this project is Bootz and Duke Sign Company and Supercharged Electric. (Cost – $102,107)
- Remodeling of the Sundial Camera Guild is completed. The project included removal of the dark rooms, new flooring, cabinet rearrangement, painting and replacement of some light fixtures. Contractor is Ken McIntyre Construction. (Est. Cost – $38,000)
- New cushioned engineered maple hardwood flooring was installed in the Sundial Aerobics room. Contractor was Puckett’s Flooring. (Cost-$35,000)
- The patio at Riverview pro/snack shop is receiving an epoxy coated surface similar to the coating used at Lakes East/West patio. The contractor is Desert Rose. (Cost – $11,055)
- The building plans for the Marinette building expansion continue to be developed by various engineers and the architect. As soon as the plans are completed they will be reviewed and forwarded to Maricopa County Planning and Development Department for permit and to construction companies for bid proposals. Once the proposals are obtained, the project will be submitted to the RCSC bid commission for final approval. Site and floor plan drawings are on display for cardholders at various centers, including Marinette, Bell, Sundial, Lakeview and Fairway.
Skilled Trades Department
- The RCSC skilled Trades department completed 139 work orders during September and the first two weeks of October 2013. This total does not include other routine work completed outside of the work order system.