By Jim Wellman
General Centers Projects / Information
- Solar projects, which include thermal (Water heating) and PV (Electricity producing), are still going through the plan review process with Maricopa County Planning and Development Department. Solar contractors include Wilson Electric for the photovoltaic solar and Priceless Plumbing for thermal solar.
- Palm tree trimming was done at all RCSC centers. Contractor was B&C Stump. (Cost $8,326)
- Come one, come all to the next Dive-In-Movie! The Dive-In Movie will be held at the Mt View Center swimming pool on September 29, 2012. The doors open at 6:00PM and the movie begins at approximately 7:00PM. Don’t forget the Free Popcorn & Ice Cream!
- Trips and Tours can now be purchased through the Clubs Office via telephone, using a credit card.
Mt. View Center
- Induction type lighting will be installed in late summer (2012) around the Mt. View swimming pool and also in two areas at the mini-golf course. Project materials have been ordered and submittals for the building permit have been submitted to Maricopa County Planning and Development. Contractor is Accel Electric. (Cost – $40,000)
- Additional repairs were needed on the Mt View pool cool decking. The needed repairs have been completed. Contractor was Desert Rose. (Cost – $15,576)
Fairway Center / South Maintenance/ Quail Run/ Sunbowl
- Automatic door openers are now installed on the (2) doors at the Fairway Library. The two doors include the main library entrance and the unisex restroom. Contractor was Action Entrance. (Cost – $4,768)
- Engineering work is now completed for the South maintenance building. The building drawings will be finished once our architect receives the metal building structural drawings from the steel building supplier. Once the final building plans are completed they will be submitted for permit and released for contractor bids prior to review and approval by the RCSC bid commission. Contractors to date for this project include Bunger Steel, Inc and CCBG Architectural.
- Re-carpeting of the Quail Run pro shop will occur while the course is closed for 2012 over-seeding. Sample carpeting was placed in the pro-shop entry last month and so far we are getting very favorable comments from golfers and RCSC staff.
- The permit from Maricopa County Planning and Development has been received for the replacement of the irrigation systems and turf at the Sunbowl ballpark and park (water retention) area south of the ballfield. The project is currently out for contractor bids. Once all contractor bids have been received the entire project will be submitted to the RCSC bid commission for final approval. Contractors currently assigned to this project include: CCBG Architectural, Marvin Mills Irrigation Consulting and Broderick Engineering.
North Golf Course Maintenance
- The defective septic system leach field on the North golf maintenance facility will be replaced soon. The work includes the removal of a small amount of asphalt and gravel from the parking area, replacement of the leach lines, replacement and compaction of gravel and fill dirt and a final asphalt patch. Currently the RCSC is waiting for the permit from Maricopa County Environmental Services. Contractors will be American Septic and Pinnacle Paving. (Cost – Permit & Septic Work $5,110; Asphalt patch work $400)
- The repair work on the two Lakeview spas is now completed. The spas were reopened on August 3, 2012. Although the spas are now open for use the painting and final cosmetic work in the two shower rooms is still being completed. Contractors for this project were Aquatic Builders and the RCSC Skilled Trades Department. (Cost – $154,027)
- Repairs to the upper level concrete floor planks, over the spa and pool equipment rooms, is now completed. Contractors for this project include: Truesdell Corporation for the concrete plank repair work and Starling, Madison, Loftquist, Inc. for the structural inspections. (Cost – $9,261)
- The Lakeview lawn bowl greens will receive replacement metal halide light fixtures on top of the existing light poles as soon as the permit is received from Maricopa County Planning and Development Department. In addition, two electrical panels must be replaced and some new electrical cabling done in order to complete this project. The new light fixtures will supply additional light while keeping energy costs down. Contractor is Wilson Electric. (Cost – $55,880)
- New vinyl plank flooring has been installed throughout the Lakeview social halls, kitchen and storage rooms. The new floor will correct the tile delaminating problem and curtail the high maintenance costs associated with the old floor. Contractor was Puckett’s Flooring. (Cost – $38,086)
- The Lakeview café is being cleaned and repaired in preparation for JiMichael’s to assume operations. During this process the commercial restaurant equipment is also being cleaned, serviced and replaced as necessary. Cleaning work is being done by ServPro of Arizona, the upholstery work by Desert Flower Upholstery and all painting, carpentry and minor electrical repairs by the RCSC skilled trades department. The café is expected to reopen in September 2012.
- Architectural drawings for the Bell Wood and Metal shop expansion project are nearing completion and should be submitted to Maricopa County Planning and Development by early September 2012. Once completed, the plans will also be sent to construction companies for competitive bids. After all bids are received the project will be forwarded to the RCSC bid commission for final approval.
- Planning and pre-permit work is completed for repairs to the Bell Lawn Bowling irrigation system and lawn bowl green backboards. The RCSC submitted drawings to Maricopa County Planning and Development Department on July 24, 2012 for an irrigation pump electrical permit but unfortunately the permit is still not approved. Due to permit delays, etc the project will now commence in April/May 2013 since the Lawn Bowling season is rapidly approaching. In the meantime, the project will be sent out for construction bids. Once all bids are received, the entire project will be submitted to the RCSC bid commission for approval.
- The Bell Library interior light fixture project is now completed. The project included converting the can lighting to LED fixtures using the existing metal can outfitted with a full replacement insert. In addition, the florescent lighting was replaced or upgraded (retrofitted) to T-8 tubes with electronic ballasts. The new lighting greatly improved the lighting within the library facility and will help reduce RCSC’s future energy consumption. Contractor for this project was Wilson Electric. (Cost – $64,646)
- New carpeting was recently installed at Bell Lanes. Carpeted areas include the bowling concourse, shuffleboard area, billiards area and the restaurant. Contractor was Puckett’s Flooring. (Cost – $110,825)
Sundial Center / Riverview Pro & Maintenance
- The new back-stage and main-stage curtains for the Sundial auditorium have been ordered and will be installed in September 2012. S&K Theatrical was selected to manufacture the draperies and complete the installation work. (Cost – $21,927)
- Two replacement signs have been ordered for the Riverview golf course. One will be placed on the pro shop building and the other by the #10 tee box. Once a permit is obtained, and the signs are constructed, they will be installed. Contractor is Apollo Signs. (Cost – $13,898)
- Two worn out 15-Ton HVAC units were replaced on the Sundial Auditorium. Contractor was Custom Cooling. (Cost – $33,141)
- The Riverview maintenance yard was recently cleaned and repaved. Contractor was Pinnacle Paving. (Cost – $90,000)
- Restroom repairs are underway at Riverview Pro Shop. The repairs include the replacement of existing lighting, toilet partitions, toilet fixtures, porcelain tile and a complete repainting of the facilities. Contractor is Sunland Plumbing. (Cost – $46,800)
- A damaged section of asphalt was removed and replaced at Lakes golf course by the practice putting area. Contractor was Pinnacle Paving. (Approx. Cost – $600)
Marinette Center / WB-WC Pro Shop
- The WB/WC pro/snack shop parking lot was over-laid with rubberized asphalt and restriped. Contractor was Pinnacle Paving. (Cost – $161, 803)
Skilled Trades Department
- The Skilled Trades department completed 227 work orders during the month of July/August 2012.